Toxic Mold Blamed
For Health Problems
TOXIC MOLD NewsCenter 5's Jim Boyd reported that the building at the Dept
Crossing apartment complex has been condemned because the building inspector has
determined it is in danger if collapse from chronic flooding. All the tenants
have been moved out but previous tenants said that toxic mold has also been a
problem in the building causing health problems.
WCVB-TV The Boston Channel, January 13, 2003
Age-old problem, mold, finds spotlight
OMAHA -- Mold that has been around since the dawn of man is suddenly causing
headaches for some Nebraskans.
Discoveries of possibly toxic mold inside buildings have forced more than 150
Omaha nursing home residents to find new homes, nearly 800 grade-school students
in Papillion and La Vista to move to new classrooms, and has led to scares at
the Seward County Courthouse, a grade school in Oakland, and a gymnasium in
All within the last month.
By Mark Thiessen, The Associated Press, January 12, 2003
school at Humes as it awaits lead tests
Humes Middle School will be closed Monday Tuesday and Wednesday while school
officials await test results for lead-based paint. School leaders called out
inspectors Tuesday to look at mold but those inspectors were much more concerned
about peeling and chipping paint. Preliminary tests Thursday showed some lead
content so Pickering Environmental Consultants Inc.
By Aimee Edmondson, Memphis Commercial Appeal Local News, January 11, 2003
Maybe your house is
what ails you
But Stih doesn't examine the people instead he tests their houses and offices.
The environmental inspector often finds that the buildings are to blame for
making his clients sick. A woman in a rental apartment complained about her
runny nose and itchy eyes symptoms that Stih says are caused by mold.
By Luci Scott,
Arizona Business Gazette,
January 11, 2003
Molding a debate
Many people and communities are blaming health ailments on mold in buildings but
some experts attribute the growing issue to fear and hype By DIANE E. HUGHES
News Niagara Bureau 1 8 2003 Click to view larger picture ROBERT KIRKHAM Buffalo
News Andrzej Golodolinski mold abatement foreman affixes a warning sign Tuesday
on a door in a former Fleet Bank in Olean being converted to an administration
building for Jamestown Community College.
By Diane E. Hughes,
News Niagara Bureau, January 8, 2003
Wareham building condemned
condemned By AARON NICODEMUS Standard-Times staff writer WAREHAM Town officials
checking up on complaints of toxic mold in the Depot Crossing low-income housing
condemned one building yesterday and might be close to condemning several
others. While officials from the health and building departments found extensive
mold in all eight apartment buildings owned by South Shore Housing Building
Inspector Theodore Misiaszek condemned one building because chronic flooding in
the basement had caused serious structural problems including rot and cracks in
the timbers that support the building.
By Aaron Nicodemus, Standard-Times Staff
Writer, January 8, 2003
World's most expensive condo
building is a mold 'slum'
The residents are
allegedly leaving behind in the building — tabbed by the Post as the world's
most expensive and in which the cheapest apartment condominium sells for 8
million — priceless artifacts they believe are contaminated with mold. The suit
against the developer of the building at 515 Park Avenue the Zeckendorf brothers
alleges mold contamination in the building disabled Kramer's three-year-old
daughter and his wife and left the building an opulent slum the Post reported.
The New York Post,
January 7, 2003
Portable classrooms mold
PAPILLION, Neb. -- Officials with the Papillion La Vista School District
announced Friday they've found mold in five classrooms at four different
Portable classrooms at Rumsey Station Elementary, Tara Heights Elementary,
Hickory Hills Elementary and Papillion Junior High School are affected.
Professional cleaning crews are tearing out carpet and just about everything
else from inside the classrooms. Carpets will be replaced and the rest of the
contents must be disinfected.
Tad Davis, Staff Writer, January 6, 2003